Full Times Roles at Creator Fund
Czech Creator Fund: Venture Capital Associate
Czech Creator Fund is a venture capital firm that invests in the best student-run businesses across the Czech Republic. It is built on the success of Creator Fund in the UK, where this model has been implemented across 25 university campuses.
Our belief is that with excellent academic institutions across the Czech Republic, the country’s next generation of technology startups can be found on university campuses. Czech Creator Fund exists to help students start these businesses, and to provide capital and support to them as they scale.
The Fund makes pre-seed investments and provides considerable strategic support to help student-led companies grow. Our fund uses a unique “student-led model” which was first pioneered in Silicon Valley, and Creator Fund are the first to bring to Europe. We train teams of technical PhD students to lead our team on campus and find deals among their peer group on campus.
Creator Fund is backed by Founders Factory, as well as Schmidt Futures (the venture initiative by Eric and Wendy Schmidt to support technology which is a force for good), and a group of 40 investors, operators, and entrepreneurs.
Over the next two years, Creator Fund will be expanding across Europe. The Czech Republic is our second market, and we are looking for the right person to help lead that launch on-the-ground.
This is a significant opportunity to help launch Creator Fund in the Czech Republic. We’ve successfully built the model over the past two years in the UK and are now looking for our first hire to quickly roll out the model and manage the Czech team. This is a chance to help us build a Venture Capital firm with a unique model from the ground up. It is a hybrid investing and operating role: you will be responsible for helping hire and run our student team, executing new deals and working with our portfolio companies.
- Hiring: Building a team of 8-12 student investors across campuses in the Czech Republic (based on Creator Fund’s established approach to student investor recruiting). This will involve sourcing candidates, conducting interviews, and onboarding the team.
- Team Management: Creator Fund relies on a team of Student Investors and the Associate will take on management responsibilities for this team, and support their professional development.
- University Stakeholder Management: Our relationships with universities are key, and it is important that we are supporting their overall entrepreneurial programmes. Universities are also a strong source of deal flow for the Fund. The candidate will be involved in building and maintaining relationships with key academic stakeholders.
- Workshops and Training: The Associate will help Czech Creator Fund deliver a series of workshops across campuses to support startup creation.
- Managing Deal Pipeline: The Associate will have substantial responsibilities throughout the deal process: sourcing deals, helping evaluate them, and working with our team to ensure the best opportunities are being closed.
- Startup Evaluation: Interviewing founders in the later stages of our funnel, evaluating deal opportunities, and helping leading due diligence.
- Deal Execution: Closing deals by negotiating terms, winning the trust of founders, and preparing final documentation (alongside the CEO & Principal)
- Portfolio Support: Managing the Creator Fund relationship with a number of our portfolio companies: providing direct strategic support and coordinating support available to our founders.
What we are looking for:
- 2-4 years work experience: Ideal candidate will have worked in consulting, venture capital, an operating role at a startup, or in the university startup ecosystem.
- Demonstrable drive & initiative: This role comes with considerable autonomy and responsibility; the successful applicant will have demonstrated an ability to start and execute high-stakes projects.
- Experience with startups and demonstrated interest in VC: Experience working for or helping startups. We do not expect the candidate to have worked in VC, but we do expect them to be able to demonstrate a passion for the field.
- Passion for stimulating entrepreneurship in overlooked areas: Interest in finding great companies right across the Czech Republic, and an ability to work with local teams to find startups that are overlooked outside Prague.
- Startup mentality: An individual who wants to roll up their sleeves and get involved in all areas of a business, who can execute multiple projects simultaneously, and be an enabler of a fast-growth environment.
- Strong network within Czech ecosystem: Good relationships with founders, investors, and ideally universities, and an ability to build strong relationships in the future.
- Fluent English and Czech
- Based: Prague. The role will be remote however you will be working closely with the CEO and Principal who will be spending time in the Czech Republic regularly. The candidate must have the legal right to work in the Czech Republic.
- Reporting to: Jamie Macfarlane (CEO) & Dana Khater (Principal)
- Send a CV to [email protected]. Instead of a cover letter, please share the two Czech startups you think are most impressive and why (one should have started at university).
Applications evaluated on a rolling basis. Deadline to Apply: 31st January 2020